MID YEAR REVIEW
Sometimes it can be useful to take stock and review where we are in life. Traditionally in the business world many people undertake a “mid year review”. And I think it can be just as helpful for those of us on the spiritual path to do a similar exercise. Try looking back over the first 6 months of this year to see if there is anything you might like to change or build upon for the second half of the year.
My mid year review process is pretty simple and in case it is of interest or helpful I’ve shared it below together with a couple of links to some other review process.
I’ve also shared my own review and would love you to share what comes up for you in your mid year review.
+ + + + + + + + + + + +
Here is my quick and easy way of carrying out a mid year review:
Choose a time when you can be quiet for about 10 minutes. Firstly, take a few moments to settle your thoughts, perhaps light a candle and ask for guidance and inspiration. Have pen and paper to hand and allow whatever thoughts arise
- WHAT FEEDS YOUR SOUL? Look back at the last 6 months and jot down 3 [or more!] things that have made you feel happy, grateful or truly alive and aligned with your life purpose. [NB: be open to the smallest seemingly insignificant things giving you the most joy and satisfaction]
- Then if you wish let these thoughts open a floodgate and keep jotting down any special moments that helped you appreciate just how precious this life is. Whether it was having a cosy chat with a dear friend, walking in nature with your dog or sharing time with your loved ones.
- WHAT DRAINS OR DEFLATES YOU? Now make a second list [on a new sheet of paper]. Look back and see what was occurring when you felt tired, anxious or deflated in some way over the last 6 months. It may not be a specific activity, it could be when you are with certain people or in a specific environment. Don’t dwell on this for too long – just write very short notes.
- ACTION PLAN + COMMITMENT: write a short note or list to yourself, committing to make more time and space for all that “feeds your soul”. Know that your happiness is a fundamental key to the well-being and happiness of all those around you. You need to look after yourself. Plus make some realistic plans or coping strategies to help you deal with the more challenging parts of your life. You may not be able to change the circumstances but perhaps you can change your response?
- GET SOME ANGELIC HELP: To complete the exercise use some inspirations cards or an app ask:
A} What will help me live life with even more joy, peace & fulfilment?
B} What will help me cope with the challenging aspects in my life?
Write down both cards in your diary and refer back to them over the next few months – you can take several cards if you wish.
+ + + + + + + + + +
MY REVIEW [in case you’d like to see how this review works in practice] :
At the beginning of this year I had decided to learn how to prioritise what is “really” important in my life [as opposed to the million and one things that constantly call upon my time and energy]. To help me achieve this I have been carrying out a process of streamlining and simplifying my life plus aiming to practice a lot more mindfulness in my day to day life.
My mid year review showed me that I can still off load a lot of “stuff” [i.e. clutter and unnecessary tasks] but I am pleased to say I am much clearer about spending time and energy on what I feel has to take top priority. For example: fun and focussed time with loved ones is incredibly fulfilling and important for me. Also having time to just relax and do nothing is vital, so I can switch off and recharge.
I get most disorientated and thrown off balance when I am not being mindful and tending to react rather than consciously responding. Daily meditation at the beginning of the day helps me enormously with this. Some aspects of my life do still drain me but I will now work on responding differently rather than focussing on these demands. Also I need to make sure my schedule is not too “crammed” so I can be flexible in responding to the unexpected day to day needs that cannot be foreseen but invariably occur.
So some tweaks will be made in the next few weeks [mainly de-cluttering and getting rid of some long outstanding tasks that are draining more energy by lurking on my to do list than the actual time it will take to deal with them!].
My qualities were very insightful [of course!] and I used my Life Guidance & Inspiration App [of course!].
Gratitude was the quality I received in answer to my “What will help me live life with even more joy, peace & fulfilment?” question.
This makes perfect sense, I often say that “gratitude is a shortcut to bliss” – just remembering each day how blessed I am literally opens up gateways of joy.
In answer to “What will help me cope with the challenging aspects in my life?” I received Generosity, which also upon reflection makes perfect sense. I sense this is about giving more willingly and generously, when we do this it is easier to get into a flow of energy and so the giving becomes less tiring and onerous and therefore feels less demanding and draining. I shall work with this over the coming months.
Please do share your insights and thought about your mid year review in the comments below.
With love & blessings,
PS: Some more reviews:
If you would like a more in depth review, you might enjoy this: http://www.lifehack.org/articles/productivity/how-personal-mid-year-review.html
For a more business-orientated review take a look at this [it is quite long but some of the questions can trigger some interesting thoughts at a spiritual level even though it is devised with careers in mind] http://www.careerealism.com/mid-year-review-questions/